This blog is your source of information on Susan's treatment for and recovery from a variant of Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (CLL). It will be hosted by me (Jerry Kargman-brother) with editing permission and entries by Bob, Callie, and Charley Siegel as they see fit. Susan, of course, will also have editing permission. Once her recovery is underway, blogging on her own behalf may become her preferred replacement activity for shopping during her confinement of a month or so (more on that below).
My intention at this point is to keep it simple - just the information you need for background and the news you need on how Susan is doing. Background information is in the box below. The news will be in the form of ongoing blog posts. Here is the provisional timetable for upcoming events:
- May 27: Susan and Bob travel to Dana Farber Cancer Institute (DFCI) in Boston; hospitalization will be at Brigham and Women's Hospital, adjacent to DFCI
- May 28: Susan begins a 4-day conditioning period of chemotherapy
- May 31: Last day of conditioning treatments
- June 1: Recovery Day
- June 2: Transplant Procedure (this is similar to a blood transfusion, but may take 2 or more hours. It is NOT a surgical procedure.)
- June 3: Susan is released to a specially prepared, environment controlled apartment (Church Park Apartments, Apartment 702, 255 Massachusetts Ave, Boston, MA 02115)
- June 4-30: Susan recuperates in apartment with daily trips to DFCI for treatments and monitoring
- July 1?: Susan cleared to return home, but will require careful monitoring and weekly visits to DFCI.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Unfortunately, Susan can NOT receive gifts of flowers, plants or food. These items may introduce infectious elements which her depleted immune system will not be able to handle.